COE - Google Transition Plan
College of Engineering Plan for Employees
→ If you are a student, Visit the Virginia Tech IT site for instructions.
Goal 1 - Personal Data
- Removing personal data from Google My Drive - Tutorial
- Employees - Remove all non-work data. Try to get work data under 5GB.
- UPDATE: The Google Photos App has been removed from Virginia Tech's Google Service package. Please refer to our Tutorial for instructions on how to check your Google Photos storage if you haven't addressed this already. Please also contact your IT team if you still have photos in your Google Photos account.
- Employees - Remove personal files from any other Google services.
Goal 2 - Shared Drive Files
- Backup and Delete Shared Drive Files as needed
- Employees: Back up and delete all personal (non-work) files from your My Drive and your Shared Drives.
- Delete unnecessary work files from your My Drive and Shared Drives after discussion with collaborators. - Tutorial
- Claim Shared Drives:
Goal 3 - My Drive and 'Shared with me' Files
- Optional: Read Understanding Google File Ownership / Management.
- Employees: further empty Google My Drive by removing unneeded work files that are not subject to Records Retention Policy 2000.
- Protect yourself from losing important files:
- Employees: Work with your department to determine your storage limits. If needed, justify overage.
Last Updated 12/4/2023
Future Goals - Costs and Allocations
This goal is furthest out and currently least defined.
- Collaborate with your IT staff to address remaining challenges and situations unique to individual users and groups.
- Finalize any remaining edge cases.
- Finalize storage needs.
- Finalize how storage will be purchased and allocated.
Please check back here or contact IT if you need assistance, or have a request for help or tutorials on a subject not yet covered.
Tutorials and Guides
GOAL 1: Personal Data
GOAL 2: Shared Drive Files
Goal 3: My Drive and 'Shared with me' Files